top of page

2016 - 2017

Men's Match Reports


Winter's Cup Quarter Final

April 8th, 2017

CYM RFC vs Wanderers FC

Final Score: 27 - 24

Templeville Avenue

It was a beautiful day for rugby in St. Mary's and both teams took advantage of the conditions, with lots of offloads and running from the beginning. Wanderers were the better for the early stages and pushed their advantage when a loose kick into the Wanderers' half was picked up and carried by the full back all the way to the CY try line for a converted try and a terrible start for the men in green. A Wanderers penalty was later added too. CY eventually worked their way back into the game and some great hands from the CYM backs put Gary O'Flynn into space. He sped down into the Wanderers 22, quick ball allowed Adam Lynch to put in a grubber that wasn't dealt with by the Wanderers defence. They conceded a penalty which was duly dispatched by Damien King getting CY back into the game. The hard ground insured a fast game and CY were the better team for most of it. Lots of pressure and territory but unable to take any points especially with King having difficulty with his range but from a solid CYM scrum in the Wanderers' 22, Seamus Humphries went blind side and hit Brian Bourke on the touchline. Bourke produced a magical step to leave the Wanderers defender grasping at thin air before hitting the gas and went over in the corner for his second try in two games. King missed the conversion. Inspired as they were, CY were not able to add to the score through the rest of the half. There was a long break just before half time, as CYM veteran, Bernard Murray, required attention for a dislocated elbow. He was taken off the pitch to applause on his last game for the club. The game restarted but the sting was taken out of it by the injury and the game limped into half time.

The second half started as poorly as the first for CY as they were not able to match their intensity from the opening half. They were soaking a lot of tackles before Wanderers scored in the far corner not long into the half. Things went from bad to worse as CY were to concede again within a few minutes as good move from a scrum put the Wanderers full back into space who scored in the other corner. With the conversion scored, CYM were facing into the end of their season if they continued like they were. A nineteen point deficit is apparently what it takes to get CYM going and it was followed with some excellent play and carries by Ian Skuse, Adam Lynch, Kevin Carty, and O'Flynn. After another great bust into the Wanderers' 22 left the Wanderers' defence all at sea, CYM had several pick and goes into the corner. With the defence packed tight, Briac Bombrum passed out to Lynch, who had options either side of him, but he didn't need them as he powered through a weak tackle to run in under the posts. With King off the pitch, second row Brian Warde stepped up to slot the conversion and give CYM a sliver of hope. That was all they needed as straight from the kick off, Lynch moved the ball to his younger brother, Josh Lynch, who galloped down the pitch. Stepping his way past three defenders, he burst into the Wanderers' 22 before finding Skuse on a powerful line that brought him over the tryline for his first CYM try and brought CYM back into the game. Warde missed the difficult conversion but CYM were now only down by four points and had the wind in their sails.

With time ticking down, CYM had to score again but an aggressive Wanderers' defence refused to wilt. CYM were not disheartened and kept up the intensity with some great breaks by Carty, Lachlan Hall and both Lynchs. With four minutes left, Wanderers strayed offside in their 22 and captain Hall was left with a tough decision. He opted for a scrum and it turned out to be the right call as CYM were able to break down the right hand side, forcing the defence to panic. An offload from Hall, some quick hands, and a magnificent pass from Darragh McCauley found Yann DuBot who blazed past the defence and got as close to the posts as he could. Warde still had a difficult kick under pressure but he took his time and knocked it over to put CYM three points ahead with only a minute left. CYM were able to grind out the minute and Josh Lynch punted the ball to touch to put CYM into the semi final and send the crowd into ecstasy.

WhatsApp Image 2017-04-02 at 9.40.59 PM.jpeg

CYM vs Barnhall

April 2nd, 2017

On a perfect day for rugby, with the sun beaming down, Barnhall kicked off for the Division 5 relegation playoff. The game started poorly for CYM as they knocked on from the kick off and put themselves under huge pressure. They defended strongly and slowly began working their way into the game with several big carries from Lachlan Hall, Brian Warde, and Alistair Rooney. Soon the pressure told and Damien King knocked over a penalty to put CY in the lead. A silly obstruction gave Barnhall an opportunity to draw level. With the ball knocked over, the game was a tie after ten minutes but CYM were hungry to make up for the mistake. After a good attack put CYM into the Barnhall half, Brian Bourke stepped in and out of several tackles, getting himself over the gainline, providing the quick ball that CYM needed. A hard line from Jonathon Tebbs off the ruck and his nice pop from the floor to the onrushing Kev Carty led to big inroads into the Barnhall 22. A few quick phases later and Tebbs had the ball in hand again, running hard and drawing three defenders onto him before an excellent offload to Bourke, gave him an easy run in to the line and dot down in the corner. King nailed the touchline conversion.

CYM were strong in both attack and defence, reducing Barnhall to kicking for territory. A good CYM kick and chase from Hall had Barnhall on the back foot again. A hasty boxkick was run back by King who found Gary O'Flynn. O'Flynn carried hard and with a little show and go, made it to the Barnhall five meter line. The ruck was slow but Seamus Humphries saw the defenders move early and sniped past to reach out and touch down for CYM's second try. King missed the conversion. CYM's defence was outstanding throughout the first half and it was typified by Humphries. From one lineout, Adam Lynch put up a huge Garryowen. Humphries timed his run perfectly to level the catcher and force a knock on. The scrum took a while to form as the Barnhall player needed attention after the thundering hit. CYM kept this up for the whole half and kept Barnhall tryless.

In the second half, the two teams were fairly evenly matched with neither side able to score for the first twenty minutes. This changed with an excellent turnover from Warde in the CYM 22 to snuff out a promising Barnhall attack. Straight from the top of the resulting lineout, the ball was moved to Rooney who barreled through several defenders to get CYM over the half way line. A hole opened up at the side of the subsequent ruck for Humphries to burst through and sprint past the despairing tackle of the full back to score his second try of the game. King was unlucky with the conversion as it went straight over the upright. The referee disagreed with the crowd and judged it to have missed.

A breakaway try after several minutes of sustained CYM pressure gave Barnhall a way back into the game and their bench soon started to make a difference. With a series of offloads, Barnhall broke through again and suddenly, CYM's lead had been cut to just three points. The final ten minutes were a tense affair as CYM sought to put the match to bed, only for several promising attacks to fail because of a forced offload or a silly knock on. Barnhall were feeling the pressure too, overthrowing several lineouts and kicking the ball out on the full. With only one minute left and a Barnhall scrum on their own five meter line, CYM looked good but the concession of two cheap penalties in a row meant that CYM found themselves defending a lineout in their 22 with twenty seconds left. The Barnhall hooker, rattled by the attentions of Darragh 'Action' McCauley, overthrew it again into the welcoming grasp of Mark Hamill. With the ruck secured, Adam Lynch booted the ball into touch to secure CYM's Division 5 status for another year cueing wild celebrations.

Final Score: CYM 20 - Barnhall 17

WhatsApp Image 2016-11-13 at 7.08.21 PM.jpeg

Old Wesley vs CYM

March 3rd, 2017

CYM men’s squad arrived in Donnybrook for the 1st leg of a club double header visit on Friday night and despite very poor weather conditions earlier in the day leading to some match cancellations in Division 5, it turned out to be a good night for running rugby on the stadium’s superb surface.  CYM kicked off and forced early pressure in the Old Wesley 22. Good ball retention from CYM saw Old Wesley concede multiple penalties in quick succession and lose a player to yellow card. From good carries down the right hand side of the pitch, the ball was moved to CYM out half Adam Lynch who picked out Lachlan Hall with a laser-like cross field kick. Hall gathered the pinpoint kick and with support on either shoulder, handed off two defenders to dot down for an excellent try. Full back Damien King added the conversion to give CYM an early 7-0 lead.

CYM were then dealt the 1st of many injury blows, losing scrum half Pierre Allavene to a very nasty ankle injury and had to shuffle their back line with Brian Bourke coming into the game on the left wing and John Conway switching from the back three to scrum half. Restored to 15 men, Old Wesley showed the form of league leaders with good ball retention and attacking play, forcing two kickable penalties in the CYM 22 which reduced CYM’s lead to 7-6. Another injury blow saw CYM lose Joshua Lynch in the back row being replaced by Blayne Keogh. Old Wesley laid siege to the CYM line again but courageous defence and a turnover at a breakdown five yards from the CYM line by Kenny Orme Lynch earned CYM a relieving penalty kick. Prior the half time, the injury jinx struck again with CYM losing Kenny Orme Lynch who was replaced by his returning brother Doug. The move saw Doug slot into the centres and Bernard Murray moved to the back row. CYM then had another sustained period of play in the Old Wesley which resulted in a penalty being converted by Damien King, giving CYM a 10-6 lead at the half time break. The final man standing in the CYM back row, Ali Rooney, also succumbed to injury at half time being replaced by Darragh Mc Cauley.

Old Wesley began the second half with a period of pressure in the CYM 22 and after a series of pick and go’s by their pack; they crossed for a well-earned try next to the CYM posts. The conversion moved the hosts into a 13-10 lead and they capitalised on some confusion in the CYM defence shortly after to score out wide and push the lead out to 18-10. Good pressure from the CYM chasers on the resulting kick off then forced a handling error by Old Wesley inside their 22. Bernard Murray was quickest to pounce on the loose ball and evade the defence to score the try and get CYM back into the game. King converted from wide left to reduce the deficit to 18-17 with 15 minutes to play.

Wesley began to empty their bench and after some good phases and quick handling scored another try out wide to push their lead back out to 23-17 with less than 10 minutes left. CYM battled hard to claw the table toppers back but their class showed by following up with two quick tries in the last 5 minutes to push the lead out to 33-17 at the final whistle. Despite a very brave showing, CYM left Donnybrook empty handed and now have to re-focus for their final league game away to NUIM Barnhall on March 19th.  

_DSC0688 (2).JPG

CYM vs Naas RFC

February 26th, 2017

On a Sunday that gave us Storm Ewan and four seasons in one day, CYM welcomed Naas RFC to Terenure Sports Ground. CYM had the benefit of the strong wind at their backs for the 1st half and were able to gain early territory and possession in the Naas half. However, CYM’s execution in attack was not at its best and numerous chances went unconverted early in the game. A series of penalties for offside then allowed Naas gain territory in the CYM half and after a series of powerful carries from their forwards, the ball was spun wide to the left wing where their winger was able to step back inside and dot the ball down.
Undeterred, CYM regained territory in the Naas half and forced penalties which were sent to the corner. However, the resulting line out mauls were held up and Naas’ defence held firm. Another excellent defensive read by Jonathan Tebbs (two in a row – say it again!!) on a Naas attacking scrum near halfway saw him intercept a pre-planned Naas move and canter under the posts for the equalising score. The sides entered the half time break at 7-7.
The unpredictable conditions saw CYM turn and face into a stronger wind and blinding sunshine for the second half. Naas used the conditions well and some clever kicking saw CYM pinned well within their own half.  Naas forced a scrum near the CYM 22 and executed a clever blindside move to dot down in the corner. A combination of clever kicking from their half backs and powerful carries by the Naas pack set a strong platform for the Naas backline to score 3 further tries, pushing the final score line out to 7-31 as CYM tired. Overall, a disappointing outcome for our final league game on home turf, however focus shifts quickly to next Friday night when CYM travel to Donnybrook stadium to take on Old Wesley.

WhatsApp Image 2017-02-12 at 4.56.03 PM.jpeg

CYM vs Wanderers

February 12th, 2017

In conditions the wrong side of biblical, CYM welcomed Wanderers to Terenure Sports Club for an important Metro League Division 5 game for both sides. CYM had the benefit of the strong wind and rain at their backs for the 1st half and gained good territory and position through the boot of Adam Lynch, repeatedly pinning Wanderers back in their 22. However, CYM’s early discipline was poor in terms of their offside line on defence and also at the breakdown – leading to an early team warning from the referee. Repeated penalties were conceded to allow Wanderers gain a foothold in the CYM half and they took an early 3-0 lead through a goal kick from their number 10.
CYM increased their efforts on discipline from here and gained good spells of territory and possession in the Wanderers half. It was now Wanderers’ turn to struggle with the referee’s interpretation at ruck time, leading to two penalty goals being converted by CYM’s fullback Damien King, giving CYM a 6-3 lead. Another penalty was then sent to the corner and an excellent line maul, followed up by a series of strong carries from the CYM pack saw Brian Warde rumble over for a try from close range. The conversion was missed but CYM added another penalty to push their lead out to 14-3 at half time.
Conditions worsened for the 2nd half and Wanderers increased the pressure on the CYM line through strong carries from their pack and clever kicking from their half backs. The CYM defence held resolute through a number of phases and Wanderers were twice held up over the CYM line. A series of pick and go’s eventually saw Wanderers cross for their try but the key conversion was missed leaving the score 14-8 with ten minutes remaining. Wanderers then threw everything at the CYM line chasing the converted try they needed for victory. An excellent defensive read on Wanderers’ final attacking scrum by CYM centre Jonathan Tebbs allowed him to intercept a Wanderers set play and out sprint the retreating back line to dot down for the winning try, wrapping up a tough, well-earned victory for CYM on a score line of 19-8. A 20 man effort was required given the energy sapping conditions on the day and the impact of the CYM bench in the 2nd half ensured a hard earned victory was achieved.

_DSC0636 (2).JPG

CYM vs Trinity

January 28th, 2017

Buoyed by their earlier win of the John Madden plate, CYM were looking to make a similar push for the Winters Cup. First up were the students from Trinity College who were welcomed to Terenure Rd North. The welcome even extended to a gift of an early try as a mistimed pass looped over the head of John Conway and bounced into the open arms of the Trinity outside center, who rushed in and got in just ahead of Conway's attempted covering tackle. The conversion was missed but the boys in green were soon under pressure again as they tried to get a grips with the fast Trinity offence. A willingness to go wide early gave Trinity a foothold in the early stages of the half and were able to make the pressure tell with a penalty that was knocked over for an eight to nothing lead after twenty minutes. This penalty was the switch that needed to be flicked for CY and for the rest of the half, their defence was much more aggressive, getting in Trinity's faces and stopping their quick ball. Kev Carty caused much damage at the breakdown but Trinity didn't give away any kickable penalties. With the lineout misfiring, CYM struggled in attack and went into half time eight points down.

The second half started much better for CY as straight from the kickoff, Trinity conceded a penalty that was duly dispatched by Damien King. Trinity were rattled by the aggressive CY line speed and started throwing the ball around to no avail as they were smashed each time in the tackle, eventually giving away two more penalties that were slotted by King. While CYM's defence was excellent, their attack left much to be desired, as excellent line breaks by Yann DuBot and Man of the Match, the ageless Bernard Murray, were wasted due to sloppy passing and poor ball retention. However with CYM's first decent attack, several great forward carries led to Carty, with the aid of Kenny Lynch, barging over for his first try of the season. King knocked the conversion over and got another penalty shortly after to give CY a healthy lead. Trinity weren't out of the match though and their high fitness levels started to tell towards the end of the match. Several missed kicks for touch and a couple of tap penalties led to a phase of play lasting almost four minutes, with Trinity on the offensive for most of it. CYM were able to keep them out that time but soon after, the pressure began to build again. Tired minds gave away some silly offside penalties, which were tapped and eventually, Trinity got over into the corner. The conversion was missed but the last few minutes were a nervy affair for CY. Thankfully though, their defence remained resolute and ground out the last few minutes to win the tie and to set up a home match against Wanderers RFC for Saturday, the 1st of April, where they will be hoping to keep the cup run going into the warmer weather.

WhatsApp Image 2017-01-22 at 5.16.29 PM.jpeg

CYM vs Greystones

January 22nd, 2017

This was an important game for CY as victory today against fellow relegation contenders would mean that they could leave the bottom of the table, and if things went their way, they could even reach the dizzying heights of fifth.

From the first kick off, the boys in green went about the pitch with the intention of men who had a job to do, hitting rucks and making tackles like it was the last time that they'd ever play rugby. This enthusiasm led to some problems however, as CY struggled with the referee's interpretation of the offside line and at ruck time, and soon found themselves three, then eight points down early on in the game. Greystones were in the ascendancy but their attacks were repelled again and again, Mark Hamill epitomising CY's determination to not conceded again with several tackles and two timely lineout interceptions. After a good turnover, CYM were finally able to relieve the pressure and kick to touch into Greystones half. A strong bust up from the lineout by Alistair Rooney, gave great field position for CYM in the opposition 22. Quick hands from the subsequent ruck had CYM players queuing up to score and it was Gary O'Neil who dived over, after a very good pick up from his laces, putting CYM back into the game with his first try of the season. Damien King missed the extras but he was soon to add to his tally as Greystones began to feel the referee's glare and started conceding penalties left, right,and centre. Each one within range was duly dispatched with King's trademark curling kicks. Deep into the half, Rooney was given a yellow card for consistent CYM penalties but Greystones were unable to utilise their advantage and CY went into half time 11-8 to the good.

CYM kicked off the second half and were soon on the front foot again. Lachlan Hall did what he does best and knocked past several despairing tackles to dot the ball down and give CYM a commanding lead. King, who is having the season of his career, slotted the ball over with ease. Greystones were still feeling the pressure and continued to be penalised. King adding three more penalties but a yellow card was not forthcoming despite repeated warnings. CYM looked to have the match wrapped up but it wasn't to be that easy. Greystones never let up and CYM were forced into long periods of defending in their own half. Silly penalties began to creep in and CYM were to receive their second yellow, by this time Fiachra Cunningham, after continued pressure led to repeated penalties in their own 22. The protestations of Hall and the sideline were to fall on deaf ears. Greystones were able to make the man advantage count this time and quickly scored two soft tries, giving them the foothold back into the game that they desperately craved and they almost took it too. The strain of defending with fourteen for twenty minutes had started to show and CYM struggled to hold onto the ball for the rest of the match. In the final few minutes of the game, a questionable call by the referee in the middle of the park allowed Greystones a penalty to kick for touch. Yet another penalty for offside let Greystones tap, and despite a knock on in front of the referee, they were able to muscle over for their fourth try and the losing bonus point.

The concession of those two bonus points and the chance to jump further up the table will annoy the men in green and they will do their utmost to rectify it in the home Winter's cup match against Trinity on Saturday.


Clontarf vs CYM

January 15th, 2017

After the original match was called off because of the non appearance of the referee, it was scheduled for this bitterly cold Friday evening. The opening quarter was evenly contested with the Clontarf heavies making decent inroads into CYM territory but strong defence and some timely turnovers allowed scrumhalf Pierre Allavène to kick deep and put Clontarf back on their heels. The heavy toll of stopping those big carries eventually wore CYM down and Clontarf barged over for the opening score of the match. With the conversion missed, CYM tried to work their way back into the game but had trouble with the offside line and the concession of a number of penalties let them down and eventually one was put over for Clontarf to lead eight nil going into the second half.

The second half started a lot brighter for CY as they built up the pressure with a number of line outs on the Clontarf five metre line, with a series of excellent takes by Darragh McCauley and Kevin Carty. The rolling maul was the weapon of choice and Clontarf were unable to stop it legally, bringing it down on the line several times before the referee got annoyed and yellow carded a Clontarf forward. CYM opted for a scrum and after several phases, Yann DuBot wiggled his way over the line. Damien King, usually so reliable with boot, missed the conversion. Clontarf, still a man down, pressed forward with their big carriers and eventually earned a kickable penalty that was put away.

CYM kicked off and straight away put Clontarf under huge pressure. McCauley and second row partner, Brian Warde, driving the catcher past his own five metre line and forcing a hasty clearance by the Clontarf scrum half which was charged down by Josh Lynch. The ball fell kindly into the arms of McCauley who only had to fall over to get his second try in two matches. King nailed the touchline conversion to leave CYM one point ahead with twenty minutes to play.

The rest of the quarter saw CYM camped in the Clontarf 22 but unable to find the killer pass to put them more than a score ahead, knock ons and spilled passes from tired hands letting them down. It was to prove costly as a CYM 22 dropout was ran right back, forcing the concession of a scrum. The Clontarf backs worked the ball out to the far wing and had the speed to go over. With the conversion missed and five minutes to play, a try was the only option for the boys in green but alas, it wasn't to be and CYM had to make do with the consolation of a losing bonus point after a very proud and spirited performance.


Madden Plate Final - Malahide RFC 22 - 31 CYM

January 8th, 2017


Adam Lynch kicked off for CYM, on an overcast but surprisingly warm January afternoon in Malahide, and very soon the boys in green were laying down a marker. Big hits flying in and turnovers a plenty meant that CYM were able to build up a quick six point lead through the ever accurate boot of Damien King. Malahide weren't to be dissuaded and after several ominous rumbles, they barged over for a try. With the conversion and Malahide on the front foot, CYM were now behind and had to work their way back into the game.

The lineout was a great starting platform for many of CYM's attacks and it proved to be again for their first try. The ball was worked to Ian Skuse, who dummied, twisted, and stepped his way past three defenders before offloading to the nearby Darragh McCauley to dive over in the corner. King was left with a difficult touchline conversion but he slotted it over with room to spare.

Malahide came back at CYM and were able to score another try through their strong forwards but the conversion was missed, meaning CY were still in the lead. CY knew their advantage was slim and needed to score again. From the kick off, Man of the Match Kevin Carty, hammered the receiver, forcing Malahide into a hasty clearance. Brian Bourke gathered and ran straight back at the tiring defence. After several good phases, including a run with no less than three hand offs by captain Lachlan Hall, the call came from the wings and Lynch pumped the ball into the corner, where Jonathon Tebbs let the ball roll for what seemed like an age before dotting the ball down. Again, King was left with a difficult touchline conversion but cometh the hour, cometh the man, and he nailed the kick to give CYM a healthy lead.

The second half started as the first finished, with CYM looking good with ball in hand. Some strong attacks lead to another penalty, effortlessly knocked over by King, extending the lead before the lineout came to the fore again. Quick, off the top ball to Lynch allowed him to run a switch with Tebbs, who powered through the gap, leaving him one on one with the full back. A strong hand off bounced the covering tackle and Tebbs went over, giving CYM a thirteen point lead. The conversion was missed and Malahide almost made CY pay when they scored a breakout try, cutting the lead to six with a few minutes left to play but another fantastic turnover from Carty in the Malahide 22, allowed King to slot his fourth penalty of the day and put CYM out of sight.


CYM vs Barnhall

November 27th, 2016

CYM welcomed Barnhall for only their second home game of the season. The game started off well for the men in green as they dominated the early territory, keeping Barnhall pinned against their line. With CYM battering down on the line, an overlong pass was picked off by a Barnhall centre who sprinted the whole pitch to dot down under the posts. Not disheartened, CYM kicked off and a big hit by second row, Darragh McCauley, forced a penalty, allowing CYM to immediately eat into Barnhall's lead. The rest of the half was marred by CY attacking errors in good positions, including giving away a penalty which allowed Barnhall to extend their lead. On the stroke of half time, a defensive kick was claimed by captain Lachlan Hall, who barrelled forward, smashed through a covering tackle before rounding the full back to score a terrific try in the corner. The conversion was missed, leaving CYM down by five at half time.
The second half started like the first, CY attacking hard but were guilty of overplaying the ball, letting Barnhall off the hook. Barnhall kept coming but CYM always had the answer and a hard tackle by man of the match, Kevin Carty, was usually it. Heartened by their defence, the CYM offense began to click. A lovely flowing backs move ended with second row, Brian Warde, stepping the full back to score and along with another conversion, put CYM in the lead for the first time. The next try was a touch of class by Josh Lynch, who, in the process of getting knocked into touch, offloaded to the onrushing Hall who again went through a tackle, before popping to Jonathon Tebbs to dive over under the posts. With the conversion knocked over, CYM could finally breath easy but they weren't done yet. In the dying moments of the game, a delicate grubber from Damien King, allowed Lynch to collect and dive over to seal the bonus point and the first CYM league win of the season.


Wanderers vs CYM

October 21st, 2016

On a warm Friday night, in the shadow of the Aviva stadium, CYM took to the pitch for their third away match in a row. Facing down an aggressive Wanderers team, CYM started well and the early exchanges were spent in the Wanderers half. Two penalties were well earned but for once, Damien King's reliable boot deserted him on both occassions. Punctating these Wanderers scored a controversial try after what looked like a forward pass allowed them to score in the corner. CYM marched back up and after an enormous number of phases, got another penalty in front of the posts, allowing King to stroke the ball over, ending the half.The second half started well, with Kenny Orme-Lynch and James Buckley doing their best wrecking ball impressions. Orme-Lynch in particular had an excellent game with some very deft touches and big hits. CYM spent large swathes of time in the opposition half but just couldn't make it count on the scoreboard. As the game progressed, Wanderers fitness and experience with the huge pitch started to tell as they started to run up the scoreboard. For the first time this season, CYM's fitness left them and with it, the match. Adam Murphy, making his CYM debut, was making tackles all over the pitch but was unable to stem the tide as Wanderers scored with the final play of the game.

WhatsApp Image 2016-10-24 at 12.08.24 PM.jpeg

Greystones vs CYM

October 14th, 2016

3rd League Game

Greystones was the setting for another wet Friday evening match as CYM went looking for their first win of the season. Things started off well, with CYM making some big hits around the park but were unable to get their hands on the ball to make an impact on the scoreboard. The effect of defending for such prolonged periods soon took their toll and CYM started to slip off tackles. Greystones took full advantage and were soon up three tries with only the boot of Damien King troubling the scoreboard for CYM.
CYM's best play of the half came from a lineout maul, hooker James Buckley had a great night, driving Greystones back almost a full fifty meters before it was pulled down just before the tryline. The referee failed to give a penalty and the ball was knocked on in subsequent phases which brought a disappointing half to an end.

The second half began brightly with a powerful carry from second row Brian Warde getting CYM into the opposition half. Over the next few minutes, CYM asserted their dominance in the match which culminated in a lineout on the Greystones five meter line. Scrumhalf Thomas Walsh went from the back of the lineout and as he was getting tackled produced a wondrous off load to the onrushing Lachlan Hall who barrelled over for the try. Unfortunately, CYM were not able to keep up the pressure as a series of knock ons in good positions allowed Greystones off the hook. After another strong lineout maul had got CYM into striking distance of the try line, the ball was knocked on in contact allowing Greystones to clear their line. However, off the subsequent lineout, Walsh hit centre Luis Duran on an excellently timed line and he burst through the defence to run forty meters and score CYM's second try.

The rest of the half was tit for tat as neither team were able to dominate the other and the game ended in disappointing fashion with Greystones going over in the corner after a long series of pick and goes leaving CYM with the bitter taste of what could have been.
Wanderers in Lansdowne Rd are up next on the 21st and CYM will be hoping to put in a better performance in the home of Irish rugby.


Terenure vs CYM

30th of September, 2016

2nd League Game

A short turnaround from a bruising encounter against Clontarf left CYM shorn of several players and things started badly with stalwart Bernard Murray pulling his calf in the warm up and unable to play the game. The game started in torrential rain and CYM were quickly on the back foot, taken back by Terenure's power game which they quickly converted into a try in the corner. CYM barely got a sniff of the ball and within 20 minutes, found themselves three tries down and with a mountain to climb. The rest of the half was more positive for the men in green but they were unable to turn their dominance into points. A series of handling errors and the strong wind meant that they ended the half pointless.
The rain cleared for the second half and proved to be much more even than the first. Both teams battling but neither able to score as the greasy ball proved to be both teams undoing. It was Terenure who broke the second half deadlock, as they barged over from a maul on the CYM 5 metre line. However, Terenure miscontrolled from the restart and CYM regained possession. Luis Duran found himself with the ball on the Terenure 22 and two devastating hand offs later, went over in the corner for an excellent try. There was a disappointing end to the match as Terenure were able to score with the last play of the game leaving them in pole position to retain the Clifford Doyle cup.
With a free weekend to rest the battered bodies, CYM's next match will be away to Greystones on Friday, 14th of October and a chance to get themselves the win that they deserve.


CYM vs Clontarf

25th of September, 2016

1st League Game

The league campaign kicked off with a tough encounter with Clontarf amid intermittent periods of howling wind and sheets of rain. The opening seven minutes were dominated by Clontarf pressure and resulted in an early score, the wind ensuring that no extra points were added. For much of the first half, the game was played between the 22s with neither side able to capitalise on the other’s handling errors. However the final ten minutes of play saw CY camped out deep in Clontarf territory, with two penalties from the boot of Damian “Damo” King leaving CYM ahead 6-5 at the half.

The opening period of the second half saw Seamus Humphreys touch down in the corner, for his first try for CYM and Damo added the extras. CY were unable to capitalise on this and Clontarf came back strong again crossing the whitewash, with the conversion this was once again a one point game. Two penalties saw Clontarf begin to pull away as the weather again took a turn for the worst. The final passages of play saw CYM threaten the Clontarf line on several occasions but it wasn’t to be. Two debut appearances in the second half, some progressive play and a losing bonus point were positives to be taken away from this hard fought defeat, which really could have gone either way.

A short turn around await the CYM team as they make the short trip to local rivals Terenure for their second league game, and first leg of the Clifford Doyle Cup under Friday night lights.

2016-09-17 16.09.47.jpg


17th of September

Pre-Season Plate Semi Final

Following a disappointing result in last weeks’ game, the challenge was set for CY to follow the encouraging performance with another of similar calibre.

The opening ten minutes saw DLSP maintain possession and mounting pressure, as CY looked to prevent an early score. Communication, discipline and patience resulted in CY emerging unscathed providing a heartening beginning to the game. Following a sustained period of pressure of their own CYs Joshua Lynch crossed the whitewash for his second try in two appearances. Scores from DLSP kept the game tight going into halftime. Another tough half followed and it required a period of continuous effort from CY to result in a well worked forwards try in the corner. Three points was all that separated the sides entering the last five minutes and some ill-discipline from CY allowed DLSP to score a last minute penalty, which bounced in off the upright, to send the game to extra time.

An extra twenty minutes was not welcomed by either side as the sun continued to beat down. A break through the centre followed by a solo run from debutant Jonathan Tebbs resulted in a penalty try as a place in the final beckoned. With the last play of the game it looked like the game would be tied up again however a piece of brilliance, from last years’ Back of the Year, saw Yann du Bot touch down under the post.

100 minutes of rugby and a performance to be proud of later the final whistle blew and a CY are headed to a final, with the league start next weekend, at home, against Clontarf.


Coolmine vs CYM

10th of September, 2016

Coolmine vs CYM – John Madden Cup

Pre-season has been notable for the number of new faces swelling the ranks of the CY men’s squad and Saturday’s first game against Coolmine in the John Madden cup was no exception, with debut performances for Dimitri Kalnitski, Fiachra Cunningham, Joshua Lynch, Seamus Humphreys, Conor McKenna and Aaron Cunningham.

The cobwebs were evident from the off and conceding an intercept try was not the start CY were looking for, but a second try from the home team proved to be the spark CY needed to get into gear. A great piece of individual effort saw Josh score his first try for CYM, with a great run down the wing, and with the conversion from Damien (Damo) King the game was all to play for. The stage was set for a bruising encounter with Coolmine attacking around the fringes of the ruck and the defensive line being put to the test by long periods of sustained pressure.

Seamus kept things moving from the base of the ruck and Adam Lynch ensured that Coolmine were never sure where the threat would come from with inside runners and skip passes aplenty. Stand out individual efforts from Bryan Bourke and Yann de Bot could have ended with points on the board but a quick penalty from Adam ended with captain Lachlan Hall crossing the whitewash. Coolmine continued to exert pressure through their pack and further scores ensured their victory. However a try from team veteran Luis Duran, pouncing on an overthrown lineout, and a 100% kicking record for Damo emphasised the closeness of the tie.

The game ended 32-21 to Coolmine, a decent performance from CYM on their first outing of the season providing solid building blocks for the season to come.

bottom of page